About WOMEN of the WORLD:
The Women of the World breakfast brings together over 300 leaders from philanthropy, media, business and the nonprofit sector to advance Washington State’s role in global development, and in particular advancing the economic and legal rights of women and girls.
The event features special guests who are champions for women’s leadership globally. This year's program includes a keynote conversation with Connie Collingsworth,
General Counsel at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, moderated by author and journalist, Ruchika Tulshyan; a Seattle spotlight on global philanthropy with Katherine Cheng, Head of Global Corporate Citizenship and Community Relations for Expedia, Inc.; and a panel discussion with
Seattle Times business reporter, Ángel González, and two leading Cuban entrepreneurs and co-founders of Cuba’s first independent design store, Clandestina.
Past speakers include:
- Dr. Kiran Bedi, India’s first and highest ranking female police officer, former UN police advisor, author and renowned social activist
- Melanne Verveer, Ambassador-at-Large for Global Women’s Issues at the U.S. Department of State
- Musimbi Kanyoro, CEO of the Global Fund for Women
- Dr. Claudia Paz y Paz, the first female Attorney General of Guatemala and champion for human rights.
- Julie Lewis, Founder of the 30/30 Project
The event also showcases the many leading organizations based in Washington State working to alleviate poverty and is an opportunity to highlight our state's commitment to working with women and girls around the world. Our featured speakers discuss the challenges and opportunities for advancing the political, economic, and social empowerment of women, inspiring our local community to invest both locally and globally in women's issues.
A special thanks to our 2016 Host Committee:
- Katherine Cheng, Head of Global Corporate Citizenship and Community Relations, Expedia
- Paula Clapp, Co-founder, Global Partnerships, Seattle International Foundation and Stolen Youth
- Maud Daudon,
President & CEO Seattle Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce
- Sandra Fried, Multilateral Partnerships, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and Commissioner, Seattle Planning Commission
- Betsy Hale, President, Pangea Giving
- Ouida Hemingway, Community volunteer and philanthropist
- Janet Levinger, Board Member, Seattle Foundation and King County Children and Youth Advisory Board
- Haven D. Ley, Senior Director, Program Strategy, Pivotal Ventures
- Melanie Matkin, ?General Manager, Gucci Seattle
- Fidelma McGinn, Vice President, Philanthropic Services, Seattle Foundation
- Srilata Remala, Office of the CEO, Allen Institute
- Jean Vukovich, Sr. Business Systems Analyst, T-Mobile and Board Member, Etta Projects
- Ann Watson, Chief Operating Officer, Cascadia Capital and Board Member, Seattle Foundation
- Cecilia Whatley, Board Member, Water 1st International
- Colleen Willoughby, Co-founder, Washington Women's Foundation
To view the 2015 Women of the World program, click here.
To view photos from the 2015 Women of the World breakfast, click here.
See below for a video highlighting the 2015 event: